10.22.2013

I GOT CALLED A FILIPINO THIS WEEK

Yes, someone in the Philippines that's a Filipino too thought that I'm Filipina.  His remark made it to the top of my journal that night because I want to be Filipina sooooo bad.  Check one off my missionary bucket list.  Don't ask me why, but I just felt like a really proud missionary that day.  I feel like I'm starting to get better and better at figuring out this whole foreign thing <g>.

Sister Taylor & the Barecante Family
I spend my week walking through giant rice fields again and running through jungles.  One night, we had been teaching in a village literally the middle of nowhere, and the little tiny path that leads there (and over a hill, through a rice field and river) takes about 30 minutes.  So we've started walking down the long path, back to the main highway.  The sun was setting right behind us, making the whole sky turn bright red and casting a red orange glow over the whole field, all that was in front of me as far as I could see was the little path and giant fields filled with palm trees. There were giant trees that reached up so high and then drooped over our pathway, palm fronds sometimes blocking the path, and the musky smell that is so unique only here in the Philippines. So pretty.  Anyway, we're walking, excited about how well our lessons went, stopping to take pictures, and then all the sudden in starts to rain.  As in Philippines style raining- the kind that pours, that doesn't stop, that floods everything it touches.  We still have about 25 minutes to go, nothing to cover us, and still more appointments we needed to get to  Haha.  It was a great, life changing moment as a missionary here in the Philippines to imagine how we looked as we were running on this little beaten pathway trying our best to avoid and outrun the rain, laughing until we couldn't breathe, with the sun continuing to set in back of us.  

Sister Taylor, Sister Palmer & Barecante Family
Also, the Barecante family was actually baptized on Sunday, it really really happened!  It was the most perfect baptism on the most beautiful Sunday morning, all the members from the ward were there to support them (which is quite a big deal in our tiny branch), the Spirit was there, and I can't even describe how happy this family was.  All the trials and problems they had while we were teaching them, everything they had to overcome to get to this point, was all worth it as they bore their testimonies after they were baptized and expressed their conversion and deep love for the church and its' teachings.  No one really knows them or their trials except Heavenly Father, but boy oh boy He sure is taking care of them and I have seen it so many times as we have taught them.  They will still have problems, their life isn't magically becoming easier, but I know they took the first step.  He cares about them so much, and it helped me to realize yet again how much Heavenly Father cares about us.  He really just cares for and loves us.  
The Barecante's Granddaughter

Still getting ready for transfers and all this great new stuff that is starting to happen, trying to grasp the fact that I've actually been on a mission now for 4 months and that things are still happening at home haha.  As it's starting to get hotter here (101 degrees is the high today), it's snowing and becoming Christmas season for you.  And can I just say how long Anna's hair is!!  Oh goodness, it's getting really pretty too- I'm also jealous of your headband in the picture at Cornbelly's that you sent me this week.  And my brothers look so studly singing in the choir for conference.  I'm a proud sister!:)  I also remembered to send out letters this week!

Funny story:  Here in the Philippines, when the power goes out, instead of being called a black out, they call it a brown out.  I asked a Filipino why it's a brown out, she said probably because Filipinos are brown, not black like they are in the America.  Hmmm.  America for the win!  

hahaha anyway, have another awesome week!

Kapayapaan sa labas (taken from my dear Sis. Hess),
SISTER TAYLOR